The StartmeupHK initiative aims to help innovative and high impact ventures launch and/or develop their global businesses through Hong Kong.
- Attract entrepreneurial talent and innovative, high impact and scalable ventures from around the world to Hong Kong and encourage them to use the city as their global launchpad
- Promote Hong Kong as a leading destination and hub for innovation and entrepreneurship
- Provide a one-stop platform for entrepreneurs to set up and expand their business in Hong Kong and gain access to financial, intellectual and social capital
- Connect startups with multi-national corporations, investors, entrepreneur clubs, co-working spaces, incubators, universities, etc.
- Create a buzz and further the momentum in the startup ecosystem in Hong Kong
- Connect and collaborate with other startup hubs around the world
The Programme includes:
- The “2014 StartmeupHK Venture Programme” which will launch in May 2014
- A global competition “The 2014 StartmeupHK Venture Awards”
- The week-long StartmeupHK Festival including startup events across Hong Kong organised by key stakeholders in the local startup community (e.g., co-working spaces, entrepreneur associations, etc); and
- The StartmeupHK Venture Forum in November 2014
The StartmeupHK Venture Awards will be open to applications shortly. Entrants will be required to submit an online application.
Stay tuned for the entry criteria, application process and closing date!
Why Hong Kong?
Hong Kong, Asia's World City. Hong Kong plays a vital role in the global value chain, with it's world class telecommunications, logistics and financial service systems. It is also a gateway to Mainland China - the "world's manufacturing hub" and it's fastest growing consumer market.
Hong Kong is acknowledged as one of the world’s smart cities, with its excellent ICT infrastructure, transportation, health care and governance systems. Like many world cities, Hong Kong also faces challenges with its environment, education, an ageing population and rising citizen expectations. Sustainable development is high on the city’s agenda and, Hong Kong can play the role of a testing ground for new concepts and serves as a model smart city for China and the rest of the world. Key to this development is the West Kowloon Cultural District Development, which is set to further the development of Hong Kong as one of the world’s great creative capitals.
In addition to this, Hong Kong is the world’s top four tech capital to watch (after Silicon Valley and New York), according to a recent Forbes magazine article. It is high time for entrepreneurs to discover what Hong Kong can offer as a launch pad for the expansion of their business globally. Access to capital, talent and markets are just part of the story. Opportunities abound for creative and technology ventures with innovative offerings, particularly in the following areas:
- Creative industries
- Energy efficiency, clean tech, waste management, water treatment, green consumer products and other sustainable technologies
- Financial technology
- Medical and health devices and technologies
- ICT and other technologies that can enhance connectivity, productivity, knowledge sharing, citizen empowerment and quality of life
For more information about Hong Kong as an entrepreneurial hub, please click here.