The StartmeupHK Venture Programme is a global competition for high-impact, innovative and scalable ventures whose founders aim to expand their businesses globally from Hong Kong.
- Attract entrepreneurial talent and innovative, high impact and scalable ventures from around the world to Hong Kong and encourage them to use the city as their global launchpad
- Promote Hong Kong as a leading destination and hub for innovation and entrepreneurship
- Provide a one-stop platform for entrepreneurs to set up and expand their business in Hong Kong and gain access to financial, intellectual and social capital
- Connect startups with multinational corporations, investors, entrepreneur clubs, co-work spaces, incubators, universities, etc.
- Create a buzz and further the momentum in the startup ecosystem in Hong Kong
- Connect and collaborate with other startup hubs around the world
- 31 July - Closing date for applications
- Early September - Interview with semi-finalists
- Mid-September - 9 winners will be shortlisted from Category One, and 3 from Category Two
- 10-14 November - A five-day programme in Hong Kong for the 12 winners
- 11 November - The 12 winners to attend a forum with pitching sessions where 3 Grand Award Winners will be selected by the judging panel and audience
Why Hong Kong?
Hong Kong, Asia's World City. Hong Kong plays a vital role in the global value chain, with it's world class telecommunications, logistics and financial service systems. It is also a gateway to Mainland China - the "world's manufacturing hub" and it's fastest growing consumer market.
Hong Kong is acknowledged as one of the world’s smart cities, with its excellent ICT infrastructure, transportation, health care and governance systems. Like many world cities, Hong Kong also faces challenges with its environment, education, an ageing population and rising citizen expectations. Sustainable development is high on the city’s agenda and, Hong Kong can play the role of a testing ground for new concepts and serves as a model smart city for China and the rest of the world. Key to this development is the West Kowloon Cultural District Development, which is set to further the development of Hong Kong as one of the world’s great creative capitals.
In addition to this, Hong Kong is the world’s top four tech capital to watch (after Silicon Valley and New York), according to a recent Forbes magazine article. It is high time for entrepreneurs to discover what Hong Kong can offer as a launch pad for the expansion of their business globally. Access to capital, talent and markets are just part of the story. Opportunities abound for creative and technology ventures with innovative offerings, particularly in the following areas:
- Creative industries
- Energy efficiency, clean tech, waste management, water treatment, green consumer products and other sustainable technologies
- Financial technology
- Medical and health devices and technologies
- ICT and other technologies that can enhance connectivity, productivity, knowledge sharing, citizen empowerment and quality of life
For more information about Hong Kong as an entrepreneurial hub, please click here.