STEM Internship Scheme
The STEM Internship Scheme (“the Scheme”) aims to encourage STEM students to gain innovation and technology (I&T)-related work experience during their studies and to foster their interest in pursuing a career in I&T after graduation, so as to enlarge the local I&T talent pool.
- Internship Placements: Internship places can be newly created or belong to existing in-house internship programmes of the companies/organisations. They have to meet the following requirements
- local or non-local full-time placements with duration of at least four consecutive weeks; and
- offer meaningful I&T-related work, subject to the vetting of the universities.
- The Scheme has adopted a broad definition of I&T under which an internship place will be regarded as I&T-related as long as its actual work contains I&T elements (e.g. technology-related intellectual property work, digital marketing, data analysis for the manufacturing industry, etc.). Participating employers may pay a monthly honorarium during the internship period on top of the allowance under the Scheme. They have full discretion in determining the honorarium level with reference to their internal policies, industry benchmarks or market rates.
- Allowance and Funding: The student interns will receive the allowance subject to the arrangements of individual universities. The allowance for each student intern under the Scheme will be HK$10,500 per month with a cap as prescribed by individual universities, but not more than three months in every academic year. ITC will disburse the funding to the universities on a reimbursement basis.