Government Funding Scheme & Support
The Hong Kong Government spares no effort in promoting I&T development. With a commitment of over HK$100 billion, it has stepped up funding support for I&T development by developing I&T infrastructure, promoting research and development (R&D), pooling talent, support entreprises and promoting re-industrialisation.
- Anti-Epidemic Fund – Support Measures for SMEs and Startups (Special Relief Measures)
- Supporting Research & Development
- Nurturing Tech Talent Pool
- Government Co-Investment with Private VCs
- Facilitating Technology Adoption/ Patent Application
- Marketing Development/Business Upgrading
- GBA-foused Schemes
- SME Loan Guarantee/Export Credit Insurance
- Industry Focus Funding Schemes
- Hong Kong Science & Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTP)
- Government Support Bodies
- Fintech Sandboxes
- Innovation Solutions For Public Services Needs
Anti-Epidemic Fund - Support Measures for SMEs and Startups (Special Relief Measures)
The novel coronavirus epidemic has brought exceptional challenges to Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government has responded to the needs of the public and the society in an unprecedented manner. Our objectives are: first, to help businesses stay afloat; second, to keep workers in employment; third, to relieve financial burdens of individuals and businesses; and fourth, to assist the economy to recover once the epidemic is contained.
The Government has launched a few rounds of measures to assist the affected industries and the public, including:
- The first round of the $30 billion Anti-epidemic Fund approved by the Legislative Council on 21 February 2020
- The $120 billion relief package in the 2020-21 Budget announced by the Financial Secretary on 26 February 2020
- The second round of the $137.5 billion Anti-epidemic Fund measures approved by the Legislative Council on 18 April 2020
- The third round of $24 billion Anti-epidemic Fund and other measures announced on 15 September 2020
- The fourth round of $6.4 billion Anti-epidemic Fund approved by the Legislative Council on 21 December 2020
- The fifth round of $3.57 billion Anti-epidemic Fund measures announced on 14 January 2022
- The sixth round of $27 billion Anti-epidemic Fund measures approved by the Legislative Council on 15 February 2022
- 2022 Employment Support Scheme under the Anti-epidemic Fund will accept applications from 29 April 2022
Besides, the Anti-epidemic Fund Steering Committee approved a number of measures having regard to the development of the pandemic and the actual business situation of various industries.
Anti-Epidemic Fund - Startups and I&T Related Only
Supporting Research & Development
Nurturing Tech Talent Pool
Government Co-Investment with Private VCs
Facilitating Technology Adoption/Patent Application
Public Sector Trial Scheme for Technology Companies Conducting Research and Development (R&D) Activities in Hong Kong (PSTS-TC)
Public Sector Trial Scheme for Incubatees & Graduate Tenants of Hong Kong Science & Technology Parks Corporation and Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited (PSTS-SPC)
Marketing Development/Business Upgrading
SME Loan Guarantee/Export Credit Insurance
Industry Focus Funding Schemes
Hong Kong Science & Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTP)
We empower the innovation and technology ecosystem in Hong Kong through a host of strategic initiatives. We’re bridging innovators with various stakeholders as we build the city’s largest R&D base to turn ideas into market-ready solutions. Since 2002, we’ve cultivated successful Innovation and Technology (I&T) companies, formed strong local and international partnership networks and created a thriving community within HKSTP.
Cyberport is an innovative digital community with over 1,650 start-ups and technology companies. It is managed by Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited, which is wholly owned by the Hong Kong SAR Government. With a vision to be the hub for digital technology thereby creating a new economic driver for Hong Kong, Cyberport focuses on fostering the growth of major technologies application namely FinTech, smart living, digital entertainment & esports, as well as technology development such as artificial intelligence (AI) & big data, blockchain and cybersecurity. With a team of committed professionals providing all round, value-added services, state-of-the-art facilities and smart workspaces to support our digital community, Cyberport is the flagship for Hong Kong’s digital tech industry.
Government Support Bodies
The Hong Kong Government is committed to supporting startups and SMEs to help realise their vision and take their business to the next level. Find out more about support services provided by various government departments and statutory bodies.
Financial regulators in Hong Kong have set up three supervisory sandboxes to enable financial institutions to conduct pilot trials of innovative applications, enabling them to obtain real market data and information on user experience before the launch of any formal product, thereby reducing development time and costs.
Innovation Solutions For Public Services Needs
The Government has launched two major initiatives to encourage startups and SMEs to put forward innovation solutions in I&T and engineering areas to enhance the quality and efficiency of public services.